It was easy to assign a FTDI device VID/PID to a libusb backend with Zadig. But detaching it from the libusb and assigning the original FTD2XX driver wasn’t so easy. Simple “remove device” in the Device Manager is not sufficient. When you plug back the device it will be assigned to the libusb again.
Following steps worked:
- Disconnect the device.
- Run cmd.exe and type in to open devices management:
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 devmgmt
- In menu click – View – Show hidden devices.
- Right click on your device and click Uninstall.
- Go to a hidden directory c:\windows\inf and delete those oem*.inf files which contains a reference to your device.
- Remove original libusb driver/zadig directory because Windows might look for all known places to find a device driver.
- Connect – MSW should ask you for drivers for a new device.